8.06.2009

Bald and Liberated

As I've said before, the sexual appeal of shaving my head is greatly increased when combined with domination and humiliation. It's good for me when boyfriend and I are role playing and he threatens to shave my head and drop me on the corner with nothing, wondering who will ever take in such a dirty bald slut. Or when he ties me up and punishes me for shaving my head against his wishes, or for having too much hair at the end of the day when he has explicitly demanded that I be bald and smooth all the time*.

Since I first started shaving my head I have discovered the tiny feminist in me. I realized that I look great with no hair and that it's okay for me to look great with no hair. It has made me challenge people's ideas of 'what a woman should look like'. Small children ask their mothers if I am a boy or a girl, knowing that I am a girl (or why would they ask?) but confused by my lack of a feature that they have always used to determine gender. I'm sure guys with ponytails get the same thing.

Yesterday I was at the grocery store and I saw a family with two young kids, the boy sporting a mohawk. Mid-sentence he stopped and stared at me while I was walking by, and said, "Wow! She doesn't have any hair!" It was not spoken in the same 'you're different and that means that you are weird' tone that I usually get when kids comment on my haircut. I waved at him and kept moving down the aisle, and as I was walking away I heard his sister say, "She is a girl. She just has a different haircut." Smart kids. At work a couple of days ago another young kid said that I was 'girlish-boyish'. I think that was the first time that I was not annoyed by a child's comments about my shaved head.

I hope that seeing a woman with a shaved head has changed the children's ideas of what a person with certain junk should look like, and I hope that it has done the same for the adults I come in contact with. That said, I have to wonder how far back I'm sending feminism when I want my boyfriend to berate me and punish me for being bald.

*He actually likes my 8-hour grit, saying that it gives me some texture and the velcro effect gives him something to grab onto.

No comments:

Post a Comment